Who is Nina Hartley? Film career and before
Nina Hartley, born Marie Louise Hartman, is an American pornographic film actress, pornographic film director, sex educator, feminist, and author.
Marie Louise Hartman was born in Berkeley, California, to a Lutheran father and Jewish mother who had immigrated from Alabama. She grew up within the San Francisco Bay Area. She had an older sister and two older brothers, and was the youngest of four children. When he was young, her family converted to Buddhism. After graduating from Berkeley High School in 1977, she attended San Francisco State University’s licensed nursing school and graduated with magna honors in 1985. Her license expired on April 30, 2001, and she became a nurse on the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Adulthood and film career
In 1982, after finishing nursing school, she started working as a stripper at the Mitchell Brothers O’Farrell Theater for two years. In 1984, she was involved in the pornographic film world for the year. Her first film was Educating Nina. She got the nickname “Nina” because she had a clearer relationship with the Japanese while working at the strip club, and she chose the nickname “Hartley” because she looked pretty in commercials. In those years, she was a guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show with pornographic film actress Ona Zee. In the late 1980s, Las Vegas was targeted by Andrea Dvorki to fight pornography and was caught by the police. But she was released after a while and resumes her porn career.
Hartley is bisexual in her private life. She described herself as an atheist.
Married to Ira Levine (Ernest Greene), the director of porn films, especially BDSM films. Sometimes she played two supporting roles in Ultimate Tristan Taormino and Greene’s Guide to Anal Sex for Women, and in The Power of Submission, which she collaborated with, directed by Greene.
Hartley has won numerous awards throughout her career, from various critics and fan organisations. Below is a list of her AVN Awards:
- Best Non-Sex Performance for Not Bewitched XXX (2009)
- Best Specialty Tape – BDSM for Nina Hartley’s Private Sessions 13 (2005)
- Best Specialty Tape – Spanking for Nina Hartley’s Guide To Spanking (2005)
- Best Supporting Actress – Video for The Last X-Rated Movie (1991)
- Best Couples Sex Scene Film for Amanda By Night II (1987)
- Best Couples Sex Scene – Video for Sensual Escape (1989)
- Best Supporting Actress – Film for Portrait of an Affair (1989)
- Best Actress – Video for Debbie Duz Dishes (1987)
Other awards and nominations
- 1994 Legends of Erotica Hall of Fame
- 2013 XBIZ Award Nomination – MILF Performer of the Year and Best Non-Sex Acting Performance for The Truth About O Literature